Thursday 20 April 2017

SQUASH; AN UNCOMMON SPORT

                                                     



Most of the people are not aware of the sport called squash; In fact I can say they don’t even know that it exists. What is squash? Squash is a racket played by two (single) or four (double) in a four walled court with a small hallow rubber ball. In this sport they also use racket just like in tennis but instead of hitting a net, players hit a squeezable ball against the wall.

Squash was invented in Harrow school in England out of the older game rackets around 1830 before the game spread to other schools eventually becoming an international sport. It was introduced to South Africa in the early days of 20th century through the influence of British military forces with the first courts being built at the Johannesburg country club and the Pretoria squash club. The sport is not part of the Olympic Games, I assume maybe that is the reason people do not know about it.

As this game was spreading, it was also introduced to Tshwane University of Technology, Soshanguve North Campus in 2011. Before 2011 squash courts were used as store rooms for old tables until Dr de Jager a lecturer in the campus, saw an opportunity and wished to share her skills with students. She played squash in the National level in the past 30 years.
 Every year new first years join the squash training sessions although they are not reaching number they are aiming for. They recruit the first in the orientation program. “After playing squash, many students thanked her that they are now able to focus more intensively on their studies and it has helped them to boost their self-confidence” said Dr de Jager.

I also did not know that this kind of sport exist, I haven’t even seen it on television or maybe I did I just didn’t pay much attention to it, I don’t know. I first heard about it from my roommate, that’s when my curiosity started. I wanted to know more about it; I wanted to find out what’s so uncommon about it that people do not even talk about it. I had lot of thoughts in my mind that maybe the sport is boring. To my surprise I found it very interesting and I have fallen in love with it.




HOW TO PLAY SQUASH SAFELY:


  • ·         One player serve to start a rally which proceeds until one player hits the ball out
  • ·         Squash can be played using a couple of scoring options traditional (international) scoring point a rally soring (PARS).

Just like any other sport, it has rules that a player have to abide by but I don’t think they difficult  I mean there is nothing difficult in following the rules.

HOW TO SERVE:
The server, with at least one foot in the serve box, starts play by hitting the ball directly onto to the front wall between the cut line and outline to rebound so that, if allowed, it bounces for the first time in the opposite half of the court and behind the short line.

LETS:
A let is undecided stroke and the serve or rally in respect of which a let is allowed, shall not count and the server shall serve again from the same box.

STROKE:
A player wins a stroke;

  • ·         If a server fails to make a good serve
  • ·         If the opponent fails to make a good return of the ball in play
  • ·         If the ball in play touches the opponent or anything that is worn by the opponent whilst on the way to the front wall
  • ·         If the player drops the racket, calls out or in any way other distracts the opponent, and the referee considers that such occurrence has caused the opponent to lose the stroke.
  • ·         If the ball hits the ceiling or any object outside of the court.

g     https://youtu.be/ezSzJU7oFBI


  • https://soundcloud.com/user-814127998/squash-sport













No comments:

Post a Comment